Wednesday, January 7, 2009

3 Years!

On our anniversary (Dec 30th) we were able to take a trip up to the Washington DC Temple with my parents. My father was kind enough to hang out with Ella around the beautiful grounds and the visitors center while Craig and I went in along with my mom. I am so grateful that we were able to go that day. Not only had it been too long since we had been last, but it was so nice to go back on the same day that we were married for time and all eternity 3 years ago!

Here we are in front of the temple. Such a beautiful day.
I need to add that, while we were in the temple, my dad said he and Ella walked around the grounds... she would pick peices off of the plants and hand them to my dad, and they looked at the Christmas trees and nativity displays in the visitors center. My mom told me today that my dad was talking about how much he liked spending that time with Ella, and he realized he was the first man to take her to the temple. Aww, so sweet.

For our New Years celebration, Craig and I decided that it would be funny if we became sophisticated cheese eating people. We went to our Kroger here in Charlottesville where there was an actual "Cheese Steward" (seriously, that is what his name tag said) ... and believe me, he was the real deal. I told him about our goal of being cheese people, and he got really excited and explained all of the cheeses to us, even opening up some of the packages to give us a taste. One of the cheeses that he made me smell seriously smelled like a moldy rag! He said it was an acquired taste, and that it actually tasted that way too. Heck no! We ended up with two different cheeses, pruchetto, crackers, and of course, oragnaic grape juice to get the party started.

With the cheese. I told Craig to pose with the cheese, and even showed him how to pose, but he thought it would be better if I did it. We were very high class with our "platter" aka cutting board on the floor. P.S. Being a sophisticated cheese person really isn't as glamorous as it seems. It wasn't that great... and it can give you major stomach issues.

Ella's new trick:


She crossed her figures in church a couple of Sundays ago and does it all the time now. She knows it's pretty cool, can do it on command, and shows it off to people a lot.

Lastly, here is Ella is our massive pile of leaves. We finally raked our back yard... 3 months after I started saying how bad it needed to be done. Our yard is pretty tiny, but we still managed to stuff 5 huge leaf bags! Ella loved playing outside, but just wanted to get the heck out of there when I put her in the middle of the leaves.

12 comments:

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

hey cheese people! Cute update. I like Ella's new trick! I'm glad you guys are enjoying the break!

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

Plus congrats on 3 years! That's awesome. You guys are a good couple.

Maddy said...

that video is so cute. She did not want to be in there! That finger trick is pretty sweet too! Britton has learned a TON with all these people around and is now saying thanks, hi which sounds more like "I" as he waves, yuboo for love you, and deuce. So basically, I feel like a bad parent because he wouldn't do any of that stuff for me, but he'll do it for everyone else :) I fly in the 12th just to let you know

Cami and Juan said...

Ella looks so sad in the freeze frame of the video. Happy Anniversary! And your cheese idea, very funny. I'm a little disappointed you weren't in a prom dress in the photo, you need to dress fancy to be a fancy cheese person. We got room service on our honeymoon of a cheese/meat plate with crackers. Yeah, my first and last experience with fancy cheese.

Tiffany said...

Ryan LOVES fancy cheeses! When we were on our cruise, he ordered a different kind after dinner every night! We got the new Rayman Rabbids game for Christmas... and it totally makes me miss you guys! We would have so much fun playing together! There is a dancing game in it and it is haliourious!

Tiffany said...

Oh and happy anniversary!

Amy said...

That video is hilarious! I'm jealous of your deck -- leaves and all. I'm telling you, you just need to keep our grill back there. I loved the fancy cheeses. I thought they were really good! I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get any of the prosciutto. Was it good? Maybe we need to have a fancy cheese/meat/fruit potluck!
P.S. Come back home. I'm already bored.

Janelle said...

I was worried at first that you two were turning snobby on us! But what a fun idea, and very cute pose. We'll just have to imagine Craig :) Leaves are always a hit huh?

Rachelle said...

Happy Anniversary! Ella is getting so big! I loved the video and hearing her talk. And cool trick, I will have to teach Jack. He wants me to tell Ella hey!

Christine said...

I am laughing hysterically at that movie right now! I am such a cheese person and am thrilled that you are taking the road-sort of! It really is so good-at times in France I will choose cheese over dessert-the smellier the better.

Taylor Family said...

I still haven't become a cheese person. Mark learned to love it while he was in Belgium, but I am not that daring. Maybe someday!

Maddy said...

time for an update :) and i'll call my mom tomorrow about burning the dvds for you. If you can just get me the dvds i'll do it fo sho.