Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Camping

Last weekend we went camping at one of the Shenandoah National Park campgrounds with 5 other families from our neighborhood. We had a great time camping, and loved that we could share the weekend with a lot of our good friends. We didn't realize how cold it was going to be up there, though. The weather was manageable before we went to bed, but by the time we went to sleep it was SO windy outside, and it felt like it was in the 30's. Ella was bundled up and slept in a sleeping bag, so she was fine. Craig and I had bundled Isaac up and had him sleep between us so he would stay warm; but I found myself just worrying about him, readjusting his covers, and checking on him the entire night. So it wasn't a restful night... but you kind of have to go into camping expecting not to sleep much anyway.

We had a good time chatting with friends, preparing food over the fire, and making s'mores (with a Reeses cup instead of Hershey bar. My friend gave me this little gem of an idea and I will never go back to my old ways). One of our friends planned activities for the kids. They enjoyed a nature scavenger hunt and coloring camping themed drawings. It was so much fun, and we look forward to doing it again... when it isn't so cold outside!



Camp site


Ella and her best bud, Eliza


Ella loved playing with Eliza's older brother, Tyson.


Inside the tent after the sleepless night. Can you guess who, in this picture, it was sleepless for?



Isaac with his friend, Claire.

Did you notice how on one post I talked about it being unbearably hot outside and then the very next weekend it was freezing cold? This weather is crazy! I think the cold is pretty much here to stay now. I am absolutely fine with that.

5 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

I love Isaac's cute little red nose and cheeks. I'm sure he was plenty warm all snuggled in blankets. Sounds like a fun trip, I haven't been camping in years.

Becky R. said...

how fun! I know what you mean about not sleeping, we took Lincoln when he was about 5 months old and I worried the entire night about him being cold or not breathing. Looks like you had a great time though. Are there any new families in the neighborhood this year? I love Ella's and Eliza's matching jackets. So cute!

Rachelle said...

How fun! I love Issac's sweater! It does look cold, but also like you guys had tons of fun!

Lara said...

seriously, your kids are so adorable. Isaac is getting so big :) I love camping!

Amber said...

Had lots of fun! Lets do it again in the spring!