Monday, March 21, 2011

Old Journals

So Craig came across one of my old journals from when I was 13 and had me read it tonight.  There are only about 6 entries in the entire book (I have many journals just like that), but they are pretty interesting and funny.  As I was reading it I kept thinking... is this who I really was at the age of 13?!  Some of the things in there are great- about how much I love my family, etc - but I was also pretty insecure and very into images.  I hope that I can raise a more confident daughter!  Anyway, I wanted to share a couple of the journal entries, because really they are just too embarrassing and funny not to share.

"Aug 23, 1993

Hey!  Im going to start writing in my journal for now on!  Im going to write some things about myself for future references.  I'm 13 I'm going to start running every day now!  My hair is a little past shoulder length and it is extremely curly and brown!  I love buying things (clothes!) I cant seem to keep the money that I earn for more than 1 day!  Im about 5 ft 4 in.  Well, that's enough!

Cora, 19 is getting married in November!  Im so excited.  She is getting married to Brian.  He is a really nice and cool guy!  I love them to death!  They had a crazy thought that they wanted a jungle themed reception and wated Tarzan and Jane on the cake.  Mom was like 'What are they thinking!' I love my parents, they are the best people in the world!  Lenore and Cora are the coolest sisters and Orin, Cordell, and Gibbs are the best bros!  Man!, I really want to lose weight!  And I will because I will run every day and eat very healthy!  Oh I almost forgot to tell you!  IM GOING TO A CONCERT ON THE 28 OF AUGUST!!!  I'm going to "They Might be Giants"

Lorel Rainock"

Pretty awesome, huh?  It gets a little better on the next entry.  The last line is my favorite.

"Aug 24, 1998

Dear Journal,

Hey!  Today was pretty cool!  I was supposed to go running at 6:30 am but Lenore didnt wake me up!  So we didn't get to go running today but we will tomorrow.

I woke up at 11:00 am and ate breakfast/lunch.  I talked on the phone A LOT w/ Jessica (she kept calling me)!  Tomorrow Jessica, Leslie, and I are going to see a movie then go to the mall!

I started reading the Book of Mormon last night!  Im going to try to read it every night.

Then I did my chores (the living room).  Then the missionaries and someone else came for dinner!  It was pretty fun!  Last Lenore and I drove grammy home!  Right now Im kind of annoyed with life because nothing exciting is happening and anxious to find out what is going to happen next!  OH ya, did I mention on the first page about myself that I LOVE BOYZ?!  I dont see how I forgot!

Lorel Rainock"

Yep, I really spelled the word "boys" like that - and I really used exclamation marks after almost every sentence.  It's pretty interesting to look back on life and remember what my priorities were then.  It's also I little sad.  I wish I could go back to my 13 year old self and say "You are beautiful the way you are and you don't need to get so caught up in such silly things!!!"  Maybe I wouldn't have even listened to myself.  I just thought I would give some of you a good laugh... especially those who knew me back then!

  

9 comments:

Shelly Beth said...

That is AWESOME! I think my journals from the age of 13 would sound just about the same. Isn't it crazy how YEARS later we realize how dumb all that stuff is (BOYZ and all). It's just not worth all the headache because it all works out in the end :) So how do we teach that to our girls!?!

Jessica said...

I love this! My journal sounds so similar to yours, it's funny to look back. They are little treasures.

Lenore said...

The sad thing is- Mom probably said that to us all the time! I love how you were wanting to go running every day, like everything is "from now on I'm gonna..." I still do that sometimes! I was WAY too punctual in my journal. I wrote way too much! I haven't looked at it in years and years. Reading that brought me back to some good times, though. When we were all home together. Love you!

Amy said...

Fantastic!

Cami and Juan said...

Oh I just love the exclamation points all over the place. You are making me want to go back and read my journals. I was and still am an avid journal keeper. Juan thinks I lied in my journal when I wrote about him when I was 15. Maybe so, but that's not a good thing!

Becky R. said...

you're a brave girl to post your journal entries. Mine are all about boys...I don't think it's going to do much good for "future generations"... :) Thanks for sharing, that was fun!

Lindsey said...

Hilarious! I love all the exclamation marks.

triest said...

I can actually picture you writing this way back when you were 13, with all the "from now on I'm gonna..." goals and exclamation points:) Remember when we'd have to wake up early on Saturday mornings to get to the stake center by 9 for basketball games? And even though we were exhausted, we'd still put the effort into doing our makeup because boyz would probably be there?? I practically lived at your house after we moved to Shelton Pointe. I miss the good ol' days!

Amber said...

I love how you were going to get up at 6:30am but, oops, you slept until 11am instead. That is awesome.