Friday, November 13, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

I made a delicious chicken pot pie for dinner tonight, and it turned out so well, that I wanted to share it with all of you. It was just the perfect thing to eat on this cold and rainy day! I combined a few different recipes, and added some things in on my own... so here is what it turned out to be:


Chicken Pot Pie

Step 1: Boil 2-3 lbs of chicken in:
-water with 3 or 4 bullion cubes
-half an onion
-stalk of celery cut into 3 peices

shred chicken, and throw out broth/veggies (or save it to make another meal)

Step 2: In a large sauce pan sautee for 5 minutes:
- 4 tbs butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 chopped med onion
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper
- chopped/shredded cooked chicken

Stir in:
- 3 tbs flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper

Add:
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (or half and half)
- 1/3 cup white cooking wine
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups sliced baby carrots (steam until semi soft before adding)
- 2 cups chopped potatoes (boil until semi soft before adding)

in a deep pie pan, (or 8x8, 9x9) put pre-made roll out pie crust dough (I used Pillsbury), pour in pot pie mixture, then top with another pie crust roll out.

Cook pie for 30 minutes at 425 degrees.


So it looks like a long process, but it really isn't. It just have lots of delicious ingredients!


Other news: Ella said "I pee poo" today and ran to her little toilet. Craig sat her on it and she peed! Yay. We haven't pushed potty training, we just remind her every once in a while that she can pee in her special toilet. After dinner she told us that she had to go potty again, and did it on her toilet a second time! I think I will push it just a little more with her and she if it is something she is ready for. We were pretty excited!

5 comments:

Becky R. said...

Mmmm, it looks yummy, I need to try it now! And, way to go Ella on using the big potty! Maybe she can teach Lincoln... :)

Olivia Goldman said...

That chicken pot pie looks really good! Wow, Ella using the potty? That's awesome! I hope Alex will be interested in using the potty at that age.

Cami and Juan said...

Wow that looks amazing. And it does seem like a lot of work, but worth it. And yay for Ella, do you do a reward system?

Pam said...

Yeah Ella! Grandma is proud!

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

Go Ella! So smart!

The pot pie looks delicioso!