Craig and I are the new activities committee chair people in our ward and need help coming up with an EASY ward Christmas activity. So far we have no committee members, and only have about a month to plan. We want to have a dinner for sure... and then after that, I'm not sure. What have you do done in your wards that you have really enjoyed?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
8 comments:
Ok, first things first... ELLA IS SO GORGEOUS!! I almost cried when I saw that gorgeous girl in her little costume. So sweet, I miss her (and you) so much! I love the trees and leaves and the east coast campus, brick and columns and I can smell the fall out east. *sigh* Your photos are beautiful as well. It was fun to see your little belly in those photos.
Now to business. You can turn your chapel into old Bethlehem. Dark with lights all around, hay. have a live nativity. One year all the kids came in their night clothes and we had milk, hot chocolate and cookies, then the kids gathered around Santa's knees and he told them the nativity story. An easy center piece/dessert is to have people sign up to bring a Christmas cake/ plate of cookies to use as a center piece. or to have a table decorating competition... Ornaments in a clear bowl make cute decorations. And of course Christmas trees with lights.
Wow, how fun, congratulations. so are you off the enrichment committee?
I like the suggestion about PJs and hot chocolate, or a nativity story would be fun, or even just some fun christmas songs (not just hymns-it is a party after all), maybe get some of the talent I know we have in our ward to perform.
Last year was low key. Ward members were asked to let the ward borrow a nativity if they were willing. They were all put on display in the cultural hall. The choir sang on the stage like carolers and ward members could sing, mix, and mingle, etc. Chairs were set up, the lighting was low, and there was a table of Christmas goodies the ward members were asked to bring - like a potluck but dessert. The whole thing was set up so that we could invite non-members to the ward; a Christmas celebration that everyone could understand and take part in and feel comfortable. It was low key, but it worked and we enjoyed ourselves.
Hi!!! how are you doing? ella is SO CUTE! I can't believe how big she is! you look awesome too! How are you feeling? I have a new blog address...thought I would give it to you! be in touch with you if I have any questions about my crazy uterus haha! you look so gorgeous.
Check out my blog its andrewcandamy.blogspot.com
Hey, what is that thing you were telling about today that you can have an email sent to people who want it when you post on your blog?
Congrats on the calling! It's a fun one. You guys will do great! I think that is cool that you and Craig get to be a team. It can be a lot of work for 2 people, so a committee will come in handy in the future.
Were you guys thinking something more traditional or new?
I've done a few Christmas activities that I would be happy to tell you about. Last year, we served a traditional Christmas feast(mainly because that is what the older people in the ward really wanted) and had a kid's nativity and sing a long(for the same reason). The theme became "Belmont Family's Night Before Christmas" It was fairly easy to do and I could send you the documents I have from it. We had a nice dinner, read Twas the Night Before Christmas, and did the nativity It turned out to be pretty neat for the kids and for the adults watching. There are some pics on my blog from that one.
The year before we did a "Perfect Present" theme. We decorated with tons of presents- stacked everywhere. They were centerpieces on tables too. We ate and then divided into smaller groups and rotated through stations in different rooms. One was acting out the nativity, another was music with the pipe and nail set that my mom has done before(that was actually a big hit!), decorating wrapping paper and wrapping a gift box with a gift that we could give to Christ inside (like something we could do better), and making a glass ornament with a picture of Christ inside. Kinda hard to describe, but they were pretty. The end point was that Christ was Heavenly Father's "perfect present" to each of us. It was fun and there was time for interaction, but it also focused on the Savior.
A few other themes I either read about, have attended, or am making up....
Christmas Around the world
White Christmas(you could decorate like your wedding reception! That looked awesome! I have done a snowflake theme activity before for a YW new beginnings. It was easy to tie aspects of the gospel to snowflakes.)
Tree trimming Party
Santas workshop- with elf hats and service centers(I had this planned once, but had it vetoed!)
A Night in Bethlehem
A caroling party
Christmas breakfast
Cookie Exchange
Ginger bread house making party
Christmas Luau
Christmas memories party
I liked some of the other comments on here too. I agree that PJs and hot chocolate sounds fun. I don't think you can have hay in church buildings. At least it was a no go when I tried it. Ornaments in bowls as centerpieces would look pretty.
Idea door might be a place worth checking out. Have fun googling. Call me if you have any questions. It really can be a fun calling! Enjoy getting those creative juices flowing!
ella looks so BEAUTIFUL. And Britton's really missing her and really wants to get together soon :) we need to swap pictures!
I've never had to plan one, but I think you should delegate! I'm sure you'll come up with a very great activity. Make sure there is good dessert. :)
Post a Comment