Friday, February 5, 2010

Green Soup

Tonight I made green soup for dinner (the one I had talked about in a previous post), and loved it just as much as the last time, so I thought I should share the recipe with you! Craig and Ella both really liked it as well - and Craig HATES green veggies, unless it's a salad, so him liking this soup really says a lot. This soup is super healthy, and was the perfect thing on this cold, snowy day. By the way, we are expected to get up to 30 inches of snow. This is our third snow storm this year - not normal at all for VA. On to the recipe:

Green Soup (from the cookbook Love Soup)

1 medium yellow onion
1-2 chopped garlic cloves
1 1/2 TB olive oil
white wine (I just used white cooking wine- about 1/4 cup)
1 bunch chard/spinach (I used spinach)
1 bunch kale
4-5 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
1/2 cup loosely packed parsely (or cilantro for a different taste, both very good)
1 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
1 medium Yukon gold potato
1 chopped carrot
3 cups chicken broth
pepper
cayenne
1 TB fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste (I ended up squeezing almost a whole lemon in mine)
cream (I used evaporated milk because I didn't have cream or half and half, about 1/3 cup)

chop and caramelize the onion and garlic with the oil in the big pot.
When done, deglaze the pan with the white wine.

Wash the greens, trim their stems, and slice the leaves. Combine
spinach, kale, green onions, carrot, and parsely in pot with broth and salt.
Peel the potato, cut it into small pieces, and add it to the pot. Bring to a
boil, turn to low heat, cover the pot, and let soup simmer for about 35 minutes.

puree it in a blender or with an immersion blender. Don't overprocess because
the potatoes will turn gummy if you work them too much. (if you think you need to,
add a small amount more of broth). It should pour easily from a ladle (not super thick or chunky).

Return the soup to the pot, bring it back to a simmer and taste. Add
some more salt and pepper if needed. Add cayenne to taste and the
lemon juice. add cream at the end. Stir well and taste.

Finish with some crusty bread!

4 comments:

Taylor Family said...

I may have to try it. I must admit, green soup just doesn't look appetizing to me, but looks can be deceiving.

Becky R. said...

It actually does look really good, and sounds really good too! I'll have to try it!

Pam said...

I have been meaning to try it, but I didn't have all of the ingredients when I went to make it. Hopefully I will sometime. I have been making lots of soups lately because of the snow days - seems appropriate. glad you got your power back on!

Amy said...

Let me try some the next time you make it -- gah!!