The child has come. I am making a guest appearance to give a quick run-down of how the boy came into the world earlier today. I'm sure Lorel will have some commentary later.
Friday, March 26 at 11:10 pm, Lorel had gone to bed while I stayed up to study. Suddenly Lorel shouted for me to come into the bedroom, as her water had broken. I quickly confirmed this fact by stepping in a puddle next to the bed while attempting to inspect the sheets themselves. We got some things things ready, dropped Ella off at the home of kindly neighbors, and got to the hospital (Martha Jefferson) around midnight.
Before I move on, I'd like to remind everyone that although Lorel and I are not first-time parents, this was our first time with Lorel going into labor, etc., as Lorel had a C-section last time around. So we had no idea what to expect in any of this, as Lorel was going for a "VBAC."
Here's Lorel pre-gaming it, while she could still manage a smile.
Lorel will undoubtedly give the definitive account of what happened between midnight and having the boy Saturday the 27th at 4:06 pm. But here's my brief summary:
When Lorel was asked how much her contraction pains hurt on a scale of 1-10 when we first arrived, she said 7. Two hours later, we had to readjust the scale - "If what you are feeling now is a 10, what was the contraction you said was a 7 earlier?" "A zero."
Eventually Lorel got an epidural (about 6am), which seemed to be her #1 priority about 30 minutes into labor. However, the epidural only worked on half of her body, so this was re-done a few hours later.
Lorel began pushing around 2pm, and after about an hour the epidural wore off again and Lorel started saying that it hurt so bad that she just wanted a C-section, etc. Plus the baby wasn't progressing. But after some pain killing reinforcements and an hour's rest, Lorel went for it again (apologizing repeatedly to the doctor and nurse for what she considered to be outbursts earlier).
With about an hour more of work, and a little help from a vacuum, the deed was done.
7 lbs., 7 oz. I wouldn't say he was photogenic yet at this point, but he was getting there.
As for a physical description, his thick dark hair stands out. His head is misshapen on the top back from the pushing and sucking, but that will go away. He has full lips. It seems funny, but he already looks different from when he was right out. Reports say that he looks like me, but I don't see that sort of stuff in babies.
Father and son.
Ella "holding" her little brother for the first time.
Ella, my parents, and Lorel's parents were all able to come in about 45 minutes after the birth. Ella was very excited and kept saying "baby brother."
First new family picture.
Beauty queen and child.
Affectionate big sister.
We feel very blessed to have a healthy boy and that everything went so well. Lorel's endurance was a real inspiration and I'm super proud of her. Ella is also doing great.
The greatest frustration in all of this is that we keep on referring to the child as "the boy," "baby boy," and the like. We're still working on a name and aim to have one tomorrow at the latest. Now that we have seen him we have some more to think about.
Thanks all for your support; more pictures and updates are to come in the next few days.
22 comments:
YAY!!! The VBAC worked, I am so excited for you. He is so adorable and Lorel looks amazing and the pictures will Ella are unforgettable!
He is so so cute! Good job lorel, I'm impressed you were able to handle the drugs wearing off so well! We are so happy for you guys! Your family picture is so cute!
oh he is so precious! i am so impressed that you were able to do a VBAC! seriously, your body must be amazing ;) your little family is so adorable! congrats!
So happy for you guys! Such a cute family of 4!!!! Lorel, I want you to tell me all about the VBAC and tell me if it was worth it and everything! (Of course, when you are up to it... no hurry or anything. haha) Congrats! And he is so cute.
Now Lorel has a great "war story" of her own! She's amazing! I may have to hold a grudge though for how incredible she looks even after going through all of that. It's not fair to the rest of us. We're going to come by tomorrow and see that cute baby! I intend to help spoil him rotten over the next year. :)
Congrats! Those pictures are beautiful! Can't wait to hear what you name him.
Holy Super Momma. That sounds like it was a heck of a time. I'm so glad that he is here and everyone is well AND that the delivery is behind you now! Good work and I can't wait to meet him!
Good work Lorel. What an experience. I'm so glad you were able to have a VBAC! He he so handsome, and you look way too good for having an all day labor. We can't wait to meet him.
Hi guys,
Congratulations to both of you! Lorel, it sounds like you were absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing this wonderful day in your life. Please let me know if you need any help in the next few weeks. I'm more than happy to help!
CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go Lorel. Love seeing Ella with new baby.
Everybody looks so good. You're a trooper! I'm glad you got to have a "normal" birth experience, even though it was long and painful. Congrats and we are looking forward to meeting him.
What a champ! Lorel you are awesome girl!! What two little cute kiddies you have. Congrats! Oh and I can feel ya with having trouble naming the baby...we didn't have a name until we were being wheelchaired out of the hospital and they made us fill out the birth certificate info stuff. WHY is naming a boy SO hard??
Lorel! You are amazing and I am jealous at how beautiful to looked in those pictures and right after birth! Congratulations! I am SOOO excited for you!
YEa!! Congratulations Marshall family, and Lorel, you're amazing. While reading the blog post I was doing some math in my head and wow....!!! I love the pictures. You all look so great and happy, and what a precious little baby!! Can't wait to see him and get Lorel's side of things!
CONGRATS!!!!! So glad you got the birth you wanted! He's adorable! Can't wait to meet the little man. Ella was cute as a button during church, your family is so precious!
He's so cute! I can't wait to see him. Glad the VBAC was successful!
he is an adorable newborn!! i can't wait to meet little man.
Yay! Way to go Lorel, he's so cute. I can't wait to meet him in person and find out his name! :) Also Lorel, you look way too good to have just had a baby!
Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear that Mom and Baby did so well especially with a VBAC, way to go Lorel! And can I say, wow, those first family pictures are beautiful, Lorel looks so great right so soon after giving birth, wish I could. Congrats again!
LOREL!!!! I am so happy for you and Craig! He looks so cute!
Yay Marhshalls!! Congratulations on "the boy"! I hope the transition back home goes well too!!
YAY! So glad that your little man is here!! Can't wait for more pics! Glad Ella likes him so much too! Lorel, you look GREAT for just having a baby! I am way impressed!
Post a Comment