Thursday, March 4, 2010

Big Sis, Lil Bro

I had been wanting some shirts for Ella and the baby that said "Big Sister" and "Little Brother" but could not find any that I liked that were reasonably priced, so I decided to make my own! With the motivation from a good friend (who made onsies for the baby using the same technique) I got them done and am really happy with how they turned out.


They are super easy to make. Lots of people just cut out shapes instead of using words (like elephants, chicks, guitars, giraffes...etc). Here's what you need:

fabric (pre-washed)
double sided iron-on paper
shirt/onsie/whatever (pre-washed)
coordinating thread
sewing machine

-Iron the fabric of your choice to one side of the iron on paper, let cool (make sure the fabric is bigger than the paper, or the sticky iron-on stuff will get on your iron)
- trace whatever shape you choose to the back of the iron on paper, cut it out
-peel off the paper, place shape on the shirt, iron it on, let cool
-with coordinating thread, make a zig zag stitch with your sewing machine around the edges for a finished look.

That's all! Super easy. Thanks, Amber, for teaching me!

10 comments:

Matthew and Hailey said...

So cute! They turned out great!

Olivia Goldman said...

Super cute, Lorel! What a great idea!

Lara said...

i love these! i'll have to remember this for when we have another baby.. such a cute idea!

Maddy said...

I. Love. These. When I do come down, you'll have to show me how you made them. I love the fabric you used. I have some projects that I did that I know you'd love too, so we can swap ideas.

Cami and Juan said...

Cute! I love how you used the polka dot fabric to make the holes in b, g, o, etc. Much easier than cutting out the holes.

Deborah said...

You are so talented! I love it!

Rachelle said...

Those are adorable!! I can't wait to see pictures with both of your kids in them :)

Pam said...

They turned out really well!

Taylor Family said...

Those did turn out super cute. Your sewing looks amazing. I loved the Ella post as well. She's a real talker. I can't wait for Lyssie to jump on the talking train!

Amber said...

They turned out so good! Can't wait for the picture where they are both being worn.