Monday, April 18, 2011

Maid Of Honor

I am the m.o.h. for my wonderful friend Gemma's wedding!  We met when we were 3 years old (our brothers were both in Boy Scouts and we met at a BS picnic or something), and have been great friends ever since.

We were different people - she was always very dramatic and wanted to be the evil stepsister and boss me around (haha- it's okay, Gemma) when we would play... and I always wanted to pretend that we were sisters that got along, sang nice songs, and made mud soup.  We remained good friends through elementary, middle, and high school even though I had moved 20 minutes away (hey... that is far when you are that young!).  She went on to major in Theater (of course :)) at a university here in Va... and I went out to Utah, went to college and got married pretty young.  I think it is so cool that despite doing such different things and not being in the same areas, we have managed to keep in touch, and have a great friendship through these 22 or so years.  Gemma is now a high school drama teacher, but will be moving to the Big Apple within the next year to live out her dream!

I was able to throw her a bridal shower this past weekend with a lot of her family and friends.  It was really a lot of fun organizing, decorating, and making food for the event.  I also had help from her other wonderful bridesmaids!  Here are some pictures from the shower.

Here is the invitation I made for it.  My dad did the caricature.  

 The food!  Cucumber sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, chocolate cupcakes with raspberry cream filling, strawberry/cheesecake parfaits, cream cheese raspberry cookies, fruit, veggies.  Yum!

I have to give credit to my friend (and centerpiece/flower arrangement mastermind), Sharon, who gave me the idea for the centerpiece and let me borrow her mini vases.  It was just what I needed!
 


 The beautiful bride/life of the party!


 and her wild New Yorker mother was also the life of the party!



 
 She got some sexy things, some wonderful and practical things, and some silly things.




... and I just had to take a picture of the cupcakes because I was proud of them!  Another friend, Paige, (who is an amazing baker) gave me a little cupcake making/decorating class last week before the shower... and it was life changing (to quote another friend who was there)!

Next up... Bachelorette party, rehearsal, and WEDDING!!!  Thank you, Gemma, for wanting me to be a part of one of the greatest days of your life!!

 

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

So cute and so professional looking!! Everything!

Sheena said...

So beautiful!

-Gemma's Dance Teacher :)

Rachelle said...

You did an awesome job. The food looks amazing!

Lindsey said...

It looks so good. Nice job on the shower. And I want one of those cupcakes!

Cami and Juan said...

That invitation is so creative and perfect. Good job. I'm excited to see you all fancy in your dress.

Pam said...

Everything looks beautiful! You did a great job! I would love to have one of those cupcakes!

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

Wow! Awesome shower- good job, Lorel! The invitation, decorations, and food all look amazing!

Congrats to Gemma too!

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

And... I want to learn to make cupcakes like that too!