Monday, September 9, 2013

August 2013

August in a nutshell:

Evie was loved on PLENTY (like usual)... especially when she wore this ruffle covered outfit.  We can't get enough.  Also, Isaac looks jealous in this picture... I assure you this isn't the case (well, it became the case on Evie's b-day two days ago - but that is for another post).

My dad has a beautiful gallery of his paintings from a certain project of his on display in his dining room.  They are all paintings of the land that we used to explore as kids that was next to my parents neighborhood.  It was turned into a neighborhood when I was in middle school.  My dad has given a painting to each of his kids after we've left the house.  Now that we have I house, I was finally inspired to go ahead and choose mine!  These were my options:

This is what I chose.  I LOVE it.  I love the balance that it has with the bright fall tree on the upper left, and the wheat on the bottom right.  I also love the sky, and the texture of the green.  It is so cool to have a dad who is an artist!

Before we moved, I had a fun girls night group that would get together and watch The Bachelor/The Bachelorette together every week.  It's not that we were all super into the shows, it was just a good excuse to get together and talk, and yeah, it was fun joking on the show too.  Well, since we have moved, my girls nights have come to an end.  This guy became my girls night partner for the season finale, and let me tell you... he was a super lame girls night partner.  Sorry Craig... but for real.  I'm going to have to work on having something here in Crozet!

Isaac was given this toy horse on a pole from my mom, and it quickly became Isaacs coolest toy ever.  Isaac was a knight daily, and played with it constantly for about a week until it hit the dust.  The poor horse lived a short life, but rest assured that he was well loved.

The same day that Isaac got his horse, I bought Ella this little $2 ring.  Out of all of the rings to choose from (sparkly hearts, castles, rainbows, etc) she wanted the one that most resembled a legit engagement ring.  And when she found the wedding dress on the left she HAD to get it (and with her own money - it was her first time using her own money too).

It quickly became something that she wanted to wear daily, and everywhere.  To the store (this was the only time I allowed it)...

 To a friends house... and constantly in our home.  It was toned down quite a bit, but it is her favorite dress-up.  Her engagement ring is also still in play, and she wears it daily (and has a little green ring around her finger from the cheap metal and everything).

On August 10th I took Ella and Isaac on a date to the pirate and princess disney show that came to the JPJ Arena.  The kids loved it and were so excited the whole time (well, Ella was excited the whole time - Isaac, on the other hand, only remembered the pirate part of the show when asked about it later).  I have to admit that I teared up quite a few times in the beginning while watching them watch the show because of their pure joy and innocence.  I love these special little kids so much.

The view from our house became especially pretty in August with all of the lush greenery and flowering trees/bushes.


There is a peach/strawberry/and apple orchard about 7 minutes from my house here in Crozet, that we love.  On Aug 14th we met my brother and his girlfriends there for some peach picking.


And on Aug 16 we went again with some friends 



The next day, Saturday, Aug 17th, Craig took Ella on a special before school date to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond.  Ella loved it, and still talks about it.  In fact, last Friday I was helping out in her art class, and the teacher had assigned the kids to draw their favorite things.  Ella drew of a picture of Craig and herself going to the art museum together.  That made Craig feel pretty good.  That same Saturday I took Isaac (and Eve) on a little date to eat Sweet Frogs, ride around the downtown mall on his scooter, and to the park.  We had a great day too!

At the park that day.

In August we spent our last days in the pool.  This was our happy place this summer.  I love that it is a very easy walking distance away.  It made it so doable all summer long.



On Aug 23rd Ella started her first day of Kindergarten!  It was definitely a bitter sweet moment, but she was so excited and SO ready to start.  She has had a great day every day, and has not come home in a bad mood yet.

breakfast and pictures before school.

Craig and I gave her this little locket as a gift that morning, so she can look at it whenever she feels like she is starting to miss us.  Apparently she was a bit dramatic with it during her first few days, which I should have expected.  She said that when she thought about us she would rub it against her face, then open the locket and caress the pictures inside.  Oh boy.
  

Here she is getting on the bus bright and early at 7:20 AM


While Ella was at school on that first day, Isaac drew his best picture yet.  It is a drawing of me pregnant with him... (in my face?).  I love it.

My parents came for a couple of hours to see Ella get off the bus, to visit, and for my dad to help install our tree swing.  

Here is Ella back from school!  2:50PM.  That is a long day!



Once we got back from the school bus, my dad had finished the tree swing.  We were going to install it before, but needed my dads ladder for the job.  It worked out great that he could just do it for us!  :)





On Aug 29 Craig and I attending Back to School Night.  It was great, and we really love Ella's teacher.  She will have a great year!  Can you spot Ella's?  Earlier that day I picked up my mom in Richmond so she could stay with us for a couple of days.  My dad has been so busy with work, and my mom has been wanting to come, but can no longer drive the longer distance by herself.  The last time she did, she fell asleep at the wheel on the interstate and went off the road.  That gave everyone a good enough scare that she wont be doing that drive solo again.  So we were happy to have her, and happy that she could be with the kids while Craig and I went that night.


The kids enjoyed reading books with Grammy during her visit.  And I enjoyed the photo op.

 

 On Oct 31 we went to the BYU/UVa football game here in Cville with my parents, Craigs parents, and Craigs sister and her husband.  We had a bit of a mixed crowd as my parents rooted for BYU (a couple of my siblings went there), Craigs parents rooted for UVA (Craig's dad went there), Brooke and Danny rooted for BYU (They went there), and Craig and I rooted for both (although Craig wasnt exactly obvious in his being non-partial.  His shirt was navy blue/white, but it said "Virginia Law"... so I'm pretty sure he was rooting for UVA.  And me, I didn't care... it was just fun to attend). 

Me, Brooke, and Isaac on the shuttle heading to the stadium.






Ella and her grandma!



Those were all pictures before the 2 hours and 10 minutes spent packed inside the stadium with everyone else during the rain storm.  That period wasn't the best... but I have to give my kids major props... they were AWESOME.  They seriously didn't complain the entire time.  We then stayed for about 20 minutes more before it started raining again, and so I left with Isaac and Eve since it was already passed their bedtimes.  Ella and Craig stayed for the rest of the game, and had a great time.

This is a pic of BYU getting their first touchdown.

We left pretty soon after that, but Craig said it was a good and a pretty exciting game after that.

August was another great month, and a great end to our summer.  We look forward to the Fall and all the fun things it has to offer!

2 comments:

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

Wow! Exciting month! Great pictures! Sorry about the girls' nights watching the Bachelorette ended. That was one of the saddest parts of my move here.... seriously. Your house and life look so beautiful though!

Lindsey said...

Loved the recap! Makes me miss you and Charlottesville so much!